Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sleep

The first question people often ask a mom is, 'is she sleeping at night?' Do others love to hear your misery? It doesn't matter if the baby is co-sleeping or crib sleeping, they ALL have difficult nights and difficult phases. Why must we feel that we need to hide the sleep difficulties? Do we feel that we are being judged as parents or that they are judging our sweet little babies or both?

I've always claimed that Julia is a good sleeper. Because she is. She and I are in a routine that we can both tolerate and get enough sleep with. Some of us, as parents, tackle sleep head on and some of us choose the path of least resistance. During this first year, I have chosen the path of least resistance, co-sleeping and nursing on demand at night. With this, I am able to sleep all night with very little effort on my part. This has worked wonderfully, however I am starting to think differently.

Is this from pressures from the outside? Is it instinct? Is it what is best for Julia or for me? I'm not sure. However, I am sure that things always change and so will her sleep routine.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I read your post and feel so much like you do. I am always concerned that I am doing the right thing........breastfeeding on a schedule versus breastfeeding on demand, sleeping in crib versus cosleeping, picking up when fussy versus crying it out, etc., etc., but I heard something the other day that I could really relate to. "Only you know what is best for your baby. Your heart will tell you what is right." I just thought I'd share that with you as I've had lots of "advice" this week, and that little quote has really helped me! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete